Monday, April 11, 2011

Happy 25, Lolls!

Birthdays are fantastic. I love celebrating the life of a loved one. Today, even better. I'm celebrating the birth of my dear, dear beloved SISTER!!

There's no way I would have made it through life without her. We've had the best of times and the worst of times and there's no one else I could ever dream of going through any of it with. She's the first person I want to share any good news with and the one who's pulled me through some really tough times. It's not perfect though. We've had times when we've annoyed each other. We've had times when we're at each other's throats. But what it boils down to is she is my sister and I love her more than any number of words in the dictionary could ever express.

She's just an incredible, amazing person to know. She's such a light in so many lives. One of my favorite times with her this past year was when she came to visit me here in the city and we went to spend some time with one of her campers. She was a counselor for many years (as was her husband!) at Double H Ranch, one of the camps co-founded by Paul Newman for children with chronic and terminal illnesses. It takes a really strong and caring person to do that work. So last fall, we were hanging out with one of her former campers and what a privilege to see her through her camper's eyes and see their interaction. There was so much adoration. So much happiness. So much love. Witnessing that I thought "Wow. My sister is one of the most amazing people in the world." She's got so much patience. She can handle the kids that like to cause trouble - and very soon has their respect. She teaches new, sometimes challenging, routines to her Zumba classes and under her instruction they look like they're professionals. She knows how to build people's confidence. I'm not really sure how she does it - maybe it's her compliments, warm & friendly smile, and being a friend when that's exactly what someone needs - but it's absolutely remarkable. SHE is absolutely remarkable.

I remember the night she was born. Well, more like the moment I learned she was born. (Poor thing - I remember I wanted to name her Madonna. Thank goodness my parents had the final say with Emily.) I don't remember much about that day or evening. I know my mom put me to bed before she and my dad left for the hospital. A neighbor, Joan (I think), came over to watch me. For some reason I got up in the middle of the night looking for my mom. I remember walking into the hallway in our house in Vermont and the light was on. I yelled for mom and Joan came up the stairs. I remember being confused - why was she there and where was my mom? She told me I had a sister. At the time, I really just wanted my mom. I didn't realize what I blessing that phrase - "You have a sister!" - truly was. That may not have settled in for awhile. Years even. Boy, do I sure understand now! Biggest blessing in life.

I could go on and on and on but I might lose some readers in such a long post so I'll just say....many, many happy birthday wishes to you, Lolly. You've been such a blessing in my life and the lives of our family and your friends. Thank you for being you. You are truly an amazing person. I really admire you. You give so much of yourself to make the world around you a better place. You deserve all the best life has to offer!! I love you more than anything... even MJ and the Olympics! (haha... but it's true!) I miss you!!! *BLEDO!!!*

Lolls and Me in our yard in New Jersey. She gave me this on my 17th birthday.
LOVE it.

1 comment:

  1. awwww thanks Sarah! I finally had a moment to read this and I very much appreciate your heartfelt, sweet words. Hope NYC is treating you well. Love you!

    ReplyDelete