They never said social work is easy. In fact, they say quite the opposite. I am prepared to go into an emotionally tough field, but sometimes it hits me just a little bit harder than I am expecting.
This morning I found out from my former supervisor at Legal Aid - Juvenile Rights that one of my clients from last year passed away. He was not one that I got particularly close to, but his story was one that did particularly touch my heart. He had so many odds stacked against him, yet was still able to love life. He was FUNNY. And CHARMING. I'm thankful for the very short time I knew him. It's this moment that I would like to keep in my social work bag - not a literal bag, but one in my heart and mind. One for me to carry memories and moments that will continue to inspire me and remind me why I am doing what I'm doing.
Sleep in peace, K.
No comments:
Post a Comment