Saturday, September 11, 2010

Let's Play Catch Up, Shall We?

I've been a terrible blogger this week! No excuses, just moving forward from here.

On Monday I celebrated Carnival aka West Indian American Day by attending the parade in Brooklyn with Katy and her roommate Laura. It was a huge celebration of the Caribbean nations. Everyone came decked out in their home countries flags and colors. Represented were Cuba, Trinidad, Jamaica, Grenada, Antigua, Panama, Guyana and Puerto Rico, just to name a FEW. Laura served in the Peace Corps in St. Vincent so she got all dressed up in their colors and gave both Katy and I rags of their flag to wave. Katy and I both decided that made us feel more like participants and less like tourists since we had a country to represent.

The orange paint is from the previous night (or waaaaay earlier that morning, to be truthful) when Laura attended J'ouvert. Sounded like a lot of fun but she got up at 2am to attend.

Wednesday I used my student ID card to get me a discount for the first time. My roommate Liz is also a grad student and she had seen something about student rush tickets for this play called Trust starring Zach Braff and Sutton Foster. We decided eventually we'd go see it but then in looking up the dates found out it was closing on the 12th. !!! Scratch that eventually, we had to go NOW. We got to the ticket window in perfect timing and got our really awesome seats (5th row center) for super cheap ($16.50). Oh, and the Snapple lady was also in attendance. We had better seats than her.
The cast of Trust from Second Stage Theatre's website.

Since school was Thursday, Friday was homework day. I got a lot accomplished including starting my first grad school paper! It was only two pages long but still, I'd never done it before. All that reading and writing took a lot out of me so I decided not to do much that evening. Liz was also tired so we plopped on our couch and watched the Stand Up 2 Cancer telethon. Shortly after I got a phone call from my sister!!! I miss her so much and she's so busy that it's really hard to get ahold of her so this hour and a half long phone call was a HUGE gift.

Today I finished my paper and whoa, the two pages wasn't too tough to write but everything has to be cited APA style. Never in my life have I used APA style before so I spent a lot of time reading through my manual trying to figure things out. That done, I turned to procrastination and swept and vacuumed the apartment. At least it was productive procrastination! Later I read and read until my brain turned to mush. There's still more reading to be done! It's neverending. I want to try to get ahead also because my parents are coming to visit next weekend. :o) So excited to see them and REALLY excited because they are bringing up my desk. Right now I'm using my bed and floor as a desk and let me tell you, not so comfortable. Anyway, I got a phone call from Katy that she got off work early and since I needed to eat to get my brain functioning again we met for dinner. I decided no more work for the evening so we came back to my apartment and watched some TV.

2 comments:

  1. Just a tip, JMU's library system has it so it cites it for you! You could check that out! And I have an APA manual if you would like to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have some program too. Also, I saw something about citations in Word when I was typing but I couldn't figure out how to use it. I'd LOVE to borrow the manual if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete