Monday, November 8, 2010

100 Days

As I was updating my 356 project today, I realized today is day 100. Since I started my project on the day I moved to NYC, that means I've been living here for 100 days now. Not too sure what to do with that information but cool anyway. Sometimes I feel like it's been longer that 100 days and sometimes I feel like I just got here yesterday. An overall review:

The main reason I'm here is for school which is going really well. Most of my classes are pretty enjoyable and I'm doing well in all of them. This Thursday I've got a midterm in my research class and that will be my first grade in there but it's open note/open book so hopefully that will go well. Social Justice is my favorite one, even though it's pretty challenging. Lots of papers but topics are interesting which makes writing them better. Definitely have to know what you're talking about in class!

Internship is going well too. Hands on learning is the best way for me so being there three days a week is great. Every Monday we have mandatory intern training which covers things like an introduction to the family court system, techniques for interviewing children and much much more. It's great that Legal Aid really wants us to be informed and competent interns. A challenge I wrote about in my admissions essay: I'd heard so much about the burn out rate for social workers. I wanted to learn techniques to avoid that. Thankfully I am! A great piece of advice I've been given is "your job is not to save everyone." I've also been told "you aren't going to break anybody," which sometimes doesn't feel true but I keep it in the back of my mind.

Roommates = fantastic. I love them. SOOO incredibly grateful and lucky for this living situation. I've reconnected with some old friends and made a few new ones too. Still would like to expand my circle even more. That will come, though. After all, it's only been 100 days. Going out is a little tricky. Grad student budget doesn't provide much money for crazy fun things. Luckily I've been pretty good at finding cheap adventures! Time Out: New York and Living Free NYC are pretty helpful. Eyes and ears are always out.

So all in all, definitely happy about the move up here and happy about life here. 100 days in and going strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment