Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Day Harry Potter's World Came To Life (and other magical moments)

Up until yesterday, the world of Harry Potter was just a cool place in a book or movie. Yes, I'm aware there is a theme park now but I haven't been there so it's still a land just in my imagination. Then yesterday this started and whoa, mind blown:



My sister had a Quidditch computer game she would get pretty into and I thought it was neat but too confusing for me to play myself. Never in a million years did I think back then that I would be seeing an actual Quidditch World Cup game with my own eyes in reality. Last week I saw a news story about it and decided I HAD to go check it out for myself. Yesterday morning I got a most delicious brunch at Life Cafe with my friend Kristen, up for the weekend from Virginia, and we decided to make our way over to DeWitt Clinton Park at 53rd and 11th to see some Quidditch. Man oh man.



This game is actually very VIOLENT! I went back to see some more today and one guy actually got knocked out for a minute or two. I saw players get popped in the nose by elbows, smacked in the face by broomsticks, quite a few bloody knees and even a punch thrown. And yes, I did say broomsticks. The players run around "riding" on broomsticks. There is a quaffle, which can score points in one of the three hoops, three bludgers, which get players out, and even a Golden Snitch. The Golden Snitch is actually played by a person dressed in yellow and gold with a ball in a bag on his/her back. To "catch" the Golden Snitch, the Seeker must pull that bag off. The snitch can run ANYWHERE and hide too, so it takes some time for the Seekers to find it, just like in Harry Potter. The players are very athletic and it feels kind of like watching a cross between a rugby and dodgeball game.





I must admit, though I really love the whole Harry Potter series, I was a little weirded out that someone adapted Quidditch to actually be played. After the first game though I was pretty hooked and really got into it! There were about 46 different college teams there, including McGill from Canada and Louisiana State University and sooooo many in between including two from Virginia: University of Richmond and VCU. JMU, where's your team?!

On another note, the holiday season has officially begun! Last night I went to my friend Edward's in Astoria for a holiday kickoff party. Edward and I bonded over our love of this classic Christmas flick which we all got to enjoy together after our scrumptious dinner:



We also all made plans to go ice skating in a few weeks. Yes!! On the subway ride home, a busker came through with his keyboard propelled by a breathing tube (I really have no clue how to describe it) and played Hava Nagila and Happy Birthday and then switched to Jingle Bells, Silent Night, What Child Is This and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Then to make it even better he told us all to have a good night and a cheery holiday season. It was so magical that I did indeed give him some money, as did quite a few other people. So, ladies and gentlemen, the holiday season is officially upon us. I couldn't be happier! I'm completely psyched for my first Christmas in NYC. I'm thinking I should go get some of this to celebrate:

No comments:

Post a Comment