Thursday, July 5, 2012

5 Years

Five years ago today, in the early morning hours, Grammy left us. Such a beautiful soul with an enormous, loving heart. A voice sweet as sugar. A smile as warm and kind as you'd ever find. She played the piano with so much emotion - it really was an extension of herself.

I remember one of the last Thanksgivings we had with her - it may have actually been the last one. After all the festivities of the day, all our family had spread throughout my aunt's house playing various games or just talking, and we were all pretty loud. My uncle had Diana Krall pumping out of the surround sound stereo. I noticed Grammy wasn't with everyone else, so I went in search of her. I found her laying on a chaise lounge in the hallway, shoes kicked off (as they always were) and swinging to the music. I asked her how she was doing, as she was already fairly sick, and she said "Oh I just love listening to everyone having a great time!" We sat together for awhile before she decided to go to bed, but not before she talked about how much she loved Thanksgiving because it was a time for everyone to stop everything they are doing and just be thankful and be together. Oh I miss her so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment