Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Jacksons: Unity Tour

I've waited 25 years for this....

Never been so excited in my LIFE!

Thursday, June 28th, 2012. 8:00pm. Apollo Theater. The Jacksons: Unity Tour. THE JACKSONS at the theater where they got their start! Back in April when I bought my ticket to the show, I was in such disbelief that I was actually going to see the one group I've wanted to see in concert since I was a four-year-old kid little girl who told people she was going to be a member of the Jackson 5 when she grew up, that my heart was racing, I could barely speak, and I could hardly catch my breath. Months later as I held my ticket in my hand, walking up to the theater to see this legendary group, I had tears in my eyes. This was it. I really couldn't believe this night was here.

My seat was fantastic - only 17 rows back from the stage. Really, though, there was not a bad seat in the house. The theatre is actually pretty small! As I sat waiting for the show to start, I took in the whole room and thought about the other people who also got their start in this room. James Brown. Jackie Wilson. Ella Fitzgerald. Billie Holiday. Diana Ross. Gladys Knight. Marvin Gaye. Stevie Wonder. Maybe it was because of who I was there to see and what this show meant to me, but I swear you could feel magic in the air.

                                                   
The lights went down, the curtain went up, and the first few bars of "Can You Feel It?" began. Oh the anticipation! It was the perfect opening to the show (check it out!! The audio/video sync is a little off, but you'll get the idea). They played all the great songs from all the decades and even a few of Michael's solo songs in tribute (Wanna Be Startin Something, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough). I couldn't stop dancing. Well, I stopped long enough to take a few pictures, but they hardly captured the actual feeling of being there: love and unity.

This family gives off so much love. Anyone can feel it. The room was bursting at the seams with it! What I think is really unique to the Jacksons is not only can you feel it coming from them, but you feel it amongst the fans too. Everyone there was everyone else's best friend. It felt the same way at Brooklyn Love Michael Jackson too. You leave not only feeling so much positiveness and happiness from what you just witnessed, but you want to continue to spread it around the world - to everyone you encounter. There really is something special - something magical - about this. Hands down, one of the best nights of my life, and will be FOREVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment