Monday, June 18, 2012

Gettin My Daisy Buchanan On

Last week I got an email from my friend Kirsten saying "Am I crazy or does this sound like fun?" I clicked on the link she sent and oh my, did it ever sound like FUN! Immediately I replied to her saying "let's get tickets!!" On Saturday, with tickets purchased, Kirsten, Kiran, and I attended the Jazz Age Lawn Party on Governors Island.


As we stepped off the ferry onto the island, I felt like I'd gone through a time warp. The only thing that kept me in 2012 was seeing a few (and I mean few -- we were definitely in the strong minority) other people in present day clothing. Other than that, it was the 1920's all around. The clothes, the music, the dancing, the food, the drinks, the cars, the slang... it was pretty fantastic. Kiran had taken the ferry from Brooklyn and beat Kirsten and I over there, so she snagged a spot in the grass for us fairly close to the dance floor. As we set up our blankets and picnic, the crowd on the dance floor was learning the Charleston. A few moments later, Michael Arenella & His Dreamland Orchestra began their set and people were dancing all over the place.

Governors Island was the perfect place for the lawn party too. Just being there feels like you step back in time a bit, so when all the other elements were added in I had to pinch myself to make sure it wasn't some quirky 1920s dream I was having. Eventually, when it started to get too crowded, we decided to explore a little bit more around the island. It was a gorgeous day out and definitely made me want to go back to spend more time over there. And if I feel like I need a little more 1920s in my life... the lawn party is happening again in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment