My roommate Rachel is starting a new position at the restaurant where she works: she's the new BUTCHER!! It's a really exciting position for her because she's extremely interested in working with meat. Great switch for her and wonderful new learning opportunity. Even better than that, her schedule got a lot more normal so all three of us will actually get to hang out more. She's got every Sunday off now, beginning this past Sunday, so we decided to have a roommate cookout. And not just any cookout - one on the roof of our building.
Rachel went out to the store and bought loads of great food. She did a little prep cooking and then she, Liz and I packed a basket and bookbag, grabbed our little grill and headed to the roof. The grill was lit and our burgers started cooking. All of a sudden we started hearing a really weird noise coming from, of all places, the sky. We looked around and saw a HUGE ORANGE BLIMP flying over our building. Know what it said? CONAN! With a little (well, that's relative since it was on a blimp in the sky and we could read it) TBS on the bottom. That was cool.
We sat around the grill smelling our delicious burgers cooking, listening to music and just chatting. Rachel's friend Jessica ended up joining and she brought some wine to share too. The smell of the grill was soooo good. Mmmm. And let me tell you, when it was time to eat we whole heartedly enjoyed. Having a chef as a roommate is awesome. Well, both of my roommates are just amazing people to begin with. Our apartment is pretty fantastic.
After awhile it got a little chilly and it was starting to get late. We put the grill out, packed up and headed back inside. Liz and I did the dishes while Rachel showered and then the three of us and Jessica headed to Rockwood to end the evening. Rachel had never been before so she was pretty excited. She loved it too, which means all three of us have impeccable taste in music.
What's Rockwood? And when I was in college, a girl in my Spanish study group was head chef at OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE. Oh. My. God. It was awesome.
ReplyDeleteP.S. is there a way to decrease the hassle in posting? I have to type in my profile, post my comment, then type in a CAPTCHA, then post again. My fingers are tired haha!
ReplyDeleteRockwood Music Hall is AMAZING: http://www.rockwoodmusichall.com/index.html. It's basically a music hall and bar where musicians play all day long and there's a one drink minimum. It's right down the street from me and my roommate and I go there all the time. Do you know Ari Hest? He plays a lot there under fake names. He played last night and we hung out with him after - we met him there a couple weeks ago. Everyone there is so wonderful and chill.
ReplyDeleteI'll try to look at the posting thing! I don't know anything about why it does that (I didn't set it up) but yeah, that's annoying to have to deal with!!
I know people who used to be obsessed w/ Ari Hest back in college! Sounds like fun! You are too cool for school!
ReplyDeleteThat's what I said too! I remember tons of people at JMU talking about him. Thursday was the first time I'd ever heard his music. Really good! You may like it too. ALSO! Check out Harper Blynn. So super awesome. They do a crazy amazing cover of Halo. YouTube it! :o) Miss you, Steph!!! PS: I tried to change the posting comment thing. Did it work better for you?
ReplyDelete