Monday, October 25, 2010

Feeling old at age seven.

Long before The Maury Povich Show was all about "which of these eight guys is my baby's daddy" it actually had some pretty good stories. At some point I was home from school, either sick or maybe on a day school was closed, and Maury was doing a special on children with Progeria. It hit me pretty hard and I've been interested in it ever since.

Progeria is an extremely rare (about one in every eight million babies) genetic disorder which is fatal. Children with Progeria are born looking "normal" but about a year later begin to show signs of aging extremely quickly. In recent years it's been compared a bit to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in reverse. The average child with Progeria dies around the age of 13, many due to heart disease. These children display several characteristics of getting older such as losing their hair and suffering from arthritis. The amazing thing though is they are so full of life and energetic. Though their symptoms tend to greatly impede on their childhood fun, they live life the best they can. This disease gives a whole new meaning to "act your age." I can't imagine being eight and feeling like I'm eighty. I believe in the past few years researchers discovered the gene that actually causes Progeria but there is no cure.

John Tacket, a spokesperson for children with Progeria, at age 15. He passed away the following year.



A few weeks ago 20/20 aired an episode focusing on three young girls with Progeria. Their stories are so heartwarming and heartwrenching. Definitely check it out if you get a chance here. I watched it a few weeks ago and it's been sitting with me since then. It's such a beautiful piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment