Friday, December 17, 2010

Oooo, it feels good to be free!

It's Friday morning. Every Friday morning since September I've woken up to papers to write, articles to read and other homework to get done. NOT TODAY! Yesterday was the last day of my first semester of grad school. I survived! And I think ended up doing pretty well. Still waiting on a few final grades - just turned in one big paper and took a written final last night - but overall I think I did well. You can definitely tell it's social work school. Each class had a wrap up that included saying goodbye and usually some kind words from the professor about our futures in the field. It was really sweet.

I'm completely enjoying not having anything to do today. I even did my laundry last night so today will just be whatever I want. So far I woke up at 8:00 and joined my roommate Liz on the couch with a mug of hot chocolate and The Today Show. Fabulous. Usually I only get to see 15 minutes or so of the show. Being able to really sit, relax and enjoy it is wonderful. I'm working on some Christmas gift ideas too. Might walk to the corner to get a breakfast sandwich from Maria's. Yum.

Not completely finished and heading home yet. I've still got my internship on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday but that's nothing - I enjoy going there! This past week was actually pretty busy for me. I got to sit in on a really interesting court case on Monday and Tuesday morning, service plan review meeting with a caseworker in Queens Tuesday afternoon, integrative seminar on Wednesday morning and visit observation Wednesday afternoon. I'm really enjoying learning at this placement. The Legal Aid Society - Juvenile Rights is a great organization doing a lot of good. I enjoy this type of social work too. It's more forensic/investigative rather than therapy based. A lot of my schooling is therapy based (at least this past semester it was) and at this point I'm not really interested in going into a counseling based area. This internship has been really wonderful for me. In January we start meeting about where our second year internships will be. I've already got some ideas... we'll see if any of them pan out!

Definitely looking forward to going home to Virginia for a bit. Surprisingly enough, I do actually miss Harrisonburg! I've found I never really appreciate where I'm from until I leave. I noticed I loved Virginia more when I was living in London and Wilmington and now New York City... though I also absolutely loved living in those places as well. The Shenandoah Valley really is a beautiful place. Last week at school I was talking about my hometown with two of my friends who are from Long Island and they were both really enthralled with what I was describing and kept asking questions. They both wanted to see pictures so I'll have to take some when I'm home. From the people I've met at school, I'm one of the only ones not from New Jersey, New York or Connecticut. That's kind of cool and definitely different from going to JMU where most people were from the same state as me.

Christmas in a week and a day! I'll let you in on a little secret: I'm more excited for Lille Julaften (Little Christmas Eve) and Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day I get sad the holiday season is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment