Monday, December 6, 2010

There IS a light at the end of the tunnel!

WHOA. I forgot the biggest beauty of not being in school: no term papers or finals. Got hit in the face with it pretty hard! Last week I was really stressed about it - but now that feels kind of silly. I went home for Thanksgiving with plans of getting so much work done... and I didn't touch ANY of it. So really, that's what put me where I am. Thankfully I've buckled down this last week and just cranked it out. Only three more papers to do, a presentation on Thursday and an open book/open note final on the 16th. Oh and SO thankful for my supervisor at my internship. She graduated from Fordham and remembered all about final papers... so she gave me this afternoon and tomorrow off to help give me some extra time. Seriously, she's the greatest. I feel so fortunate to have her as a supervisor. Some people in my integrative seminar at school haven't had such luck with theirs.

Early on Saturday morning I got a text from my friend Lauren in DC that she and my other friend Ashley were coming to NYC for the day for some shopping and holiday enjoyment. I hadn't seen either one of them in YEARS so I knew I just had to see them. We ended up meeting for dinner at an Irish pub near where their bus was leaving from. Thank goodness for that because at 6:45, when we didn't even have our bill yet, Lauren realized their bus was scheduled to leave at 7:00 and not 7:15. We paid so fast, lightening speed goodbyes and they RAN to their bus. I was so relieved a few minutes later when I got a text saying they JUST made it. Sad they had to rush off but it was absolutely wonderful to see them!

Saturday evening I had my first festive event in December! My friend Stephanie and her roommate hosted a great Christmas party at their place in Brooklyn. First of all, their place is so adorable with exposed brick on the walls and exposed beams in the ceiling. They live over a yoga studio too, which is pretty cool. The party was so festive! Details all the way down to a burning yulelog on the TV. Crazy thing...well, I shouldn't have been so surprised because I'm finding just how small this world actually is living here... Stephanie and I met doing A Christmas Carol at Wayside Theatre during my senior year of high school. Side bar: best Christmas season ever. It was Christmas every day from Thanksgiving until Christmas Eve. AND! I got out of school two days a week for the shows and had one on the weekends (I split my role of Jane Fezziwig/Martha Cratchit with another girl since we were still in school. Each had three show days a week.) AND! Met awesome people. End of side bar. At the party, in walks this woman who looks so familiar. Turns out, she also worked at Wayside!

Hardly slept at all Saturday night/Sunday morning. On my tiny amount of sleep, I got up and wrote my other big paper ALL DAY LONG and then started the other one. By that evening I was going stir crazy in my room. Thankfully my friend Meghan (JMU family love!)invited me and a few other friends up to her place on the Upper East Side. I got there a little early (really, I HAD to get out of my apartment) so I helped ice some Christmas cookies and Meghan and I had some time to catch up. Others came a little later and we all watched Elf while snacking on gingerbread and Christmas cookies and drinking some VERY delicious spiced warm cider. It was exactly the study break I needed. This upcoming weekend looks like it too will be shaping up into some great, adventurous study breaks.

This morning we got our first flurries of the season. I was so excited to see snow I didn't even realize my entire face and ears were numb! It's about time to invest in a hat or some earmuffs! Also, after hearing about last winter in the city, I'm going to need some pretty good snowboots.

No comments:

Post a Comment