Sunday, January 9, 2011

Don't just carry a hat...wear it.

Friday afternoon I started to feel like I was getting a cold. Now when I was working my old job, I was out on travel for about eight weeks every fall going into high schools, meeting people (i.e. shaking hands), etc. I discovered my immune system fights like no tomorrow to keep those cold germs out of me. Awesome! So Friday afternoon I though "no big deal" and went out to dinner at The Meatball Shop with my friend Meghan. By the way, The Meatball Shop is DELICIOUS. Very crowded though and we had about a 45 minute wait (WELL worth it) so we went to Sugar Cafe for a little coffee. Dinner was so tasty but I definitely didn't need that last half of the last meatball. Left the place uncomfortably full - thank goodness I had to walk home!

I digress. Back to the regularly scheduled story.

Saturday morning was feeling not great but OK. Not hungry at all though so I didn't eat any breakfast... first poor choice of the day. My roommate Liz and I decided to start the P90X workout on Monday - and I decided to try the cardio workout Saturday morning just for fun. Poor choice #2. I made it halfway through and felt a little nauseous so I stopped. Ate a little later, stomach felt better but could still feel this cold coming on. Since I had plans to go out to Rockwood that night I spent most of the day in bed alternating between sleeping, reading and watching some Netflix in hopes of feeling better.

That seemed to work! Liz and I headed out of our place around 9pm. As I was walking out, Liz said "Maybe you should wear a hat since you're getting a cold." Good idea, I replied, while running back in my room to grab the one my mom encouraged me to buy while I was in Virginia: cute and warm. Throw it on and we're out the door. Walked over to Allen Street and found the ticketed show was still going on (The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger - aka Sean Lennon and his girlfriend). We waited in the Annex but it got a little warm and decided to wait outside.

Here's where the problem happened: when we got in the Annex I took my hat off and put it in my bag. When we went back outside, I forgot to put it back on my head. HEAD UNCOVERED IN THE LIGHT SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPERATURES WHILE GETTING A COLD. Brilliant. Had a great time there and remembered to put the hat back on when walking home. Went to bed. As I woke up this morning, eyes not even open just coming back to consciousness, I realize I feel just awful. Stinking hat in my bag. I'm convinced if I had it on for those other 20ish minutes I wouldn't feel quite so bad. Looking like another day hanging in bed/on the couch - which actually isn't so bad. I never do it so I should take advantage, right?

Oh, and my poor roommate Rachel is also fighting this horrid cold (small apartment, the three of us share everything) so we're actually couching it up together right now, sneezing and coughing and watching Top Chef. I love watching these shows with Rachel because she explains a lot about the different foods, flavors and techniques and I learn so much from her. She actually made these egg and cheese bagels with paprika and cayenne pepper for breakfast this morning that we split. Mmm, even when I can hardly taste anything, I could still appreciate that!

Lesson learned: always remember to take the hat out of the bag.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear you're sick! :( Definitely enjoy the day laying around...I'm trying to do the same in hopes that this cold I've had for two weeks decides that it is time to leave my body!

    Good luck, and don't forget to wear your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TWO WEEKS!! YUCK! Hope you can shake it off today. Oh hats... I think I forgot it when I met you for dinner too. You know those mittens that attach to jackets? I think I need one for my hat. Or get a jacket with a hood, haha.

    FEEL BETTER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel better, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry your sick sis! Get better. Lots of sleep, vitamin C (and D!), drink drink drink (water, 100% juice). Stay hydrated! Your body needs it to fight.

    ReplyDelete