A few weeks ago I got a Facebook message from my mom's coworker, Karen, saying she and her son Andrew were coming to New York City for the weekend and would love to get together. Karen had never been to the city before and Andrew came once on a school trip. Of course I said I'd be more than happy to meet up with them! They arrived on Friday and went shopping in Chinatown. I couldn't meet up right away because I have a HUGE midterm this week and a big paper due so I needed to get some work done. Around 5pm they were ready for dinner so I headed to Chinatown to pick them up and then brought them back to the East Village to, where else?, Life Cafe for dinner. Andrew is a big fan of RENT so he was really excited when we were seated in the Jonathan Larson bench. Mmmmm, and I just love the food there. Karen and Andrew had tickets to see Million Dollar Quartet at 8pm so after dinner I walked them up to the 1st Avenue L and gave them instructions on how to get to the theatre from there. They were so excited!
Saturday morning rolled around and I wanted to meet up with them but still was feeling swamped with school work. We made plans to meet up late in the afternoon for a light dinner and... a Broadway show! Karen said my mom offered (and mom confirmed, haha) to pay for a ticket for me to go with them. They got tickets for La Cage, which up until mid February I wasn't TOO excited to see, but when I heard Harvey Fierstein was joining the cast, I really really wanted to see it! So glad that's what we ended up seeing.
The show was amazing. Never heard of it? Seen the movie The Birdcage? Yep, that's based on La Cage (aka "The Birdcage" in English). I don't know where the dancers got that energy OR their flexibility and acrobatic skills. I was exhausted just watching them. Other cool person I didn't know was in it but was excited when I saw the cast list: Wilson Jermaine Heredia - the original Angel from RENT. Sweet. After the show we were a little hungry so we headed over to Junior's for some dessert. On the way we happened to walk by The Addams Family theatre while the cast was coming out so we stuck around to see them, including Bebe Neuwirth.
Dessert was DELICIOUS and I highly recommend Junior's. Andrew and I each got the banana split, which we decided to call communist banana splits because our server's name was Stalin. Karen got the strawberry shortcake. Really super yummy. Eventually it got to be close to 1am so we decided it was time to wrap up. They headed back to their hotel and I jumped on the train to come home. It was so great to be able to hang out with them a bit while they were here in the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment