As May comes to it's conclusion, I close the graduate school chapter of my life. On May 20th, I walked acrossed the stage at Radio City Music Hall and received my Masters of Social Work. It's something I never really thought I would do, and I felt so accomplished picking up that little bit of paper.
Honestly, I felt a little lost after undergrad. I had a degree, but within a year learned that I really wasn't cut out for the life of a production assistant. The thick skin needed for that job was not something I possessed, no matter how hard I tried. Lesson learned, lots of knowledge gained. I'm so grateful for the Office of Admissions for not only affording me time and support to figure out where I wanted to take my life, but also an invaluable skill set that I will draw on for the rest of my career (and also big thanks to Student Ambassadors - I know I was your advisor, but you guys taught me a whole lot too and I'm FOREVER grateful for the relationships I created and still have with you guys.) Getting this Masters was really the first big life goal that I'd set for myself in a long time... and I DID IT! Kinda cheesy, but I really am so proud.
The love and support I've had while pursuing this degree has been amazing. My family - especially my parents, sister, and brother-in-law - have been jaw droppingly incredible. My friends too. When I finally really took the time out to think about each of the players who had an influence on me these past two years, I got tears in my eyes. I don't really know what I did to deserve all of you, but I can't even formulate words for how much love I've felt from you all.
"They" always say to find something you love and make it your career. I may have taken the round about way of getting there, but I'm definitely there now. I'm also very, very, very happy to announce that after months of applying to jobs, I was offered and accepted my right-out-of-grad-school DREAM job. Starting in July I will be working for Harlem United Community AIDS Center here in the city. This is the cause I envision dedicating my career to, and I'm so lucky to have this opportunity right out of the gate.
Life is good, y'all.
No comments:
Post a Comment