Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Six String

My mom has been playing the guitar since looooong before I was born. She's self taught and extremely great. She played for fun, at the camps where she & my dad worked/we lived, and in a few bands - mostly acoustic but in more recent years she picked up the electric too. When I was home over Christmas, one of my favorite nights was sitting in the rocking chair in front of the crackling fireplace drinking some hot chocolate while my mom played her old six string. It was the perfect evening. Absolutely wonderful Christmas memory to have.

One of the last nights I was home over my spring break last week, I came home late from Jessica's bonfire and my mom was still up playing lots of the old songs she played when I was little. Even though I was kind of sleepy, I stayed up because I just love sitting and listening to her play and sing.

Mom

A few months ago I was listening to some music and a song came on that sounded so familiar but the voice singing it didn't. I closed my eyes and pictured how I'd heard this song before. All of a sudden I realized: I was hearing my mom's voice! It was a song she played when I was really young. I got a little teary eyed because it brought back such fond memories. Immediately I wrote to my mom to make sure I was right. She hadn't played the song in so long and she was so surprised I remembered it! The night I was listening to her over my spring break, she found the music for it in her old binder and played it for me. It was so great to hear her play and sing it for me again:

3 comments:

  1. What a great moment, Sarah. I would totally cry if I were you, having my mom sing that song!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely cherish it this moment and the memories it brings. It's the perfect song to sing to your child! They are great words to hear from your parents. Definitely got teary eyed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog shoutout and I loveeeeeeeeee you and your momma.You are both very talented beautiful women with amazing souls.

    ReplyDelete