Since moving to NYC I can't afford to join a gym or a dance studio that has classes so unfortunately resorted to YouTube where several instructors post their routines. It's great for keeping up but I really miss being in the classes with other people. I was really excited about coming to Virginia for spring break because I'd be able to take a few of my sister's classes and participate in the ZUMBATHON she's holding to raise money for a local food bank. A few weeks ago I got an email from her with more exciting news: a Zumba MASTER CLASS!!! Another local instructor was bringing Z305 to Harrisonburg and was trying to get a huge turn out. Of course Lolly and I both signed up.
Z305 is a group of instructors headed up by Beto, the creator of Zumba, who travel around the world teaching intense master classes. These are the pros - the rockstars, if you will - of the Zumba world. Lolly found out our three instructors would be Armando, Paola and...her personal favorite... Heidy. The master class was from 5pm-7pm on a Sunday evening with doors opening at 4:30. Lolly made sure we were there by 4:00. Can't say I blame her - I was super excited too! It was also great networking for her to meet a lot of other local instructors. A little after 5pm, Armando, Paola and Heidy came out and the sweat started dripping.
Over 140 people showed up! Now when I say intense, I really mean it. In an hour class you burn anywhere from 600 - 1000 calories... and we were going full on for two whole hours. Some people ended up having to take breaks during some songs and sitting out for awhile. I'm pretty proud to say both Lolly and I made it through EVERYTHING. Lolls even had the highlight of her instructor career so far: during an ab workout song near the end, Armando came out into the crowd and pulled her on stage! She was great! All three of them made the class soooo fun and though my body was a little ready for that cool down when it came, I wouldn't have been upset if we kept going instead.

So cross another thing off my bucket list! I've always wanted to take a Master Class. Bonus points for it being taught by three of the pros - I was just watching them in the Caipirinha music video and hey, there they are in front of me teaching the choreography to it. Check it:
No comments:
Post a Comment