I had a moment yesterday. Left my apartment building and began walking down the street toward Avenue C. A woman in a pink shirt and baseball hat was walking toward me in the same path, so I moved over a little so we could pass comfortably. She took a step over too, right into my new path and was looking me right in the face as she got closer. She looked pretty tough and I actually got a little nervous. I was still trying to avoid her somehow but she said "excuse me" and got a bit too close for comfort. That's when I looked in her face and saw a horrible black eye. She finished her sentence quietly: "Excuse me, this is so embarrassing. I'm obviously a victim of domestic violence and I'm trying to get out of here. Do you have anything to help me?"
My heart sunk. Here I was trying to avoid someone who obviously needed help. I had $4 in my wallet that I'd been really excited about because it was enough to get my favorite breakfast sandwich at Maria's the next morning but this woman needed it so much more. I handed it over to her and she began to cry. Next thing I know, this woman grabbed me in the biggest bear hug and just kept saying "thank you, thank you." I hugged her back and said "Please take care of yourself." She replied saying she's never going back to that man again. She grabbed my hand, squeezed it, said thank you again and then walked away.
I know a lot of people say you should never give money and most of the times it's just stories people are telling to get a few bucks. But I know in my heart this woman was telling the truth. Seeing that black eye on her... I was so ANGRY that anyone could and would do that to her. To anyone. I'd be lying to say I didn't shed a few tears walking away from her. Still, I'm not sure what to do with that moment. I feel like it warrants something else, but I don't know what just yet. Having that moment as a part of my life now - that small moment - feels like such a big impact.
No comments:
Post a Comment