Thursday, July 21, 2011

New York, I love it when you're mean

Dang, it's brutal outside! Roomie Liz and I are hanging on the couch in the apartment with all the lights off, all the fans on and watching The Princess Diaries to beat the heat. I tried to go to Broadway in Bryant Park today - saw Billy Elliot, Memphis and half of Voca People before deciding if I stood out there one more second I would die of heat stroke. Bummer, cause it's such an awesome event.

Last night Liz and I went to see Julian Velard at Rockwood. He's one of our favorites and recently came out with his new album, Mr. Saturday Night. Last night's show started a monthly residency so if you're coming to NYC you definitely have to check him out. So entertaining, great music. He played one of his songs called "New York, I Love It When You're Mean" which I'd heard before but never live. It's a song so true to any New Yorker's heart.



I was thinking about it while walking home. New York has this insane reputation, much of it true. The Today Show actually had a segment (well, Hoda and Kathie Lee did) yesterday about the most honest cities in the United States. Who came in first/most honest? Chicago. Who came in last? That'd be New York. Not surprising. Oddly enough, it is something I love about it. I love the harsh winters. I love the cars honking while stuck in traffic. I love how crazy the cab drivers are. I love apartments so small and cramped but you only really sleep there so it doesn't matter anyway. I love that wearing all black is acceptable every day of every season... and how prevalent that really is. I love on brutal days like this people are still out walking around, sweating up and knowing it's just a part of life here. I love people coming here with a dream in their eyes. I love the city's lonliness, feeling anonymous sometimes. I love (am learning to love) when people in other places kind of look terrified when they find out I live in this city, because of it's crazy reptuation. I love using my experiences here to teach them it's really not that scary - it's beautiful.

So, New York, I love it when you're mean too.

No comments:

Post a Comment