Wednesday, May 11, 2011

5 Day Review

Another great weekend... well, weekend and a few days... in New York! Thursday night (Happy Cinco de Mayo!) after school I jumped on the A train to meet my friends Laura and Natasha and my roommate Liz and her friend Kristen at the Hiro Ballroom for Ari's show. After the show Liz, Kristen and I were pretty hungry and stopped in at the counter at Pop Burger for some delicious late night food. Mmmmm.

Ari at Hiro Ballroom


Friday night I met Meghan at the Apple Store in Chelsea for a free Harper Blynn show. Meghan is a fantastic photographer and took such an awesome picture at the store that Harper Blynn actually Tweeted it too. Check out her photo here. After the show Meghan and I crossed the street for some food at The Diner. Beautiful night out so we got a sidewalk table. It was one of those nights when you just have the best conversations about nothing and everything. Oh yeah, and also some great people watching. Group of people with face paint, glitter and capes? Yep, they walked by. Love NYC! Saturday night was also filled with good music at Rockwood. Kirsten, Liz and I caught Robbie Gil and Martin Rivas back to back. Sweet!

While we were out on Friday night, Meghan and I made plans to go to church together at Trinity Grace which recently opened up an East Village branch. Carla came too and I hadn't seen her since December so it was wonderful to see her. This week's message was focused on finding your path in life among so much distraction. There were loads of younger people attending so I felt like it was such a relevant topic for discussion. Relevant at any age, really, but since that's something I've really been working on the past few years I felt like it was really relevant in my life. I think a lot of people around my age are thinking the same things. After that the three of us headed to dinner at The Smith. Carla had to head home when dinner was over but Meghan and I headed to Union Square to meet up with Scott for dessert and coffee at The Coffee Shop. Again, Meghan used her fabulous photo skills and grabbed this shot of Scott and I talking as we were hanging out afterward.

Liz's brother Alex came on Sunday night to spend a few days in the city. It's so fun to have visitors. Liz's family is always great to have because we all grew up as camp director's kids (aka Staff Brats) and we never tire of trading stories. Monday night the three of us went to this tapas place called Oliva in our neighborhood Liz and I have wanted to try for awhile. They had membrillo on the menu, a favorite of my sister's from when she studied in Spain. Can't wait to take her there next time she visits! After tapas we took Alex to Hugo's album release show at Rockwood. He's signed to Roc Nation and does a cover of 99 Problems:



While there we ran into my friend Stacey and we all ended up going to a place called The Cabin Down Below after the show. It has a kind of speakeasy vibe and is definitely not the easiest place to find. Once you get in though, it's a great place to hang out.

Now it's on to homework. This Thursday is my last day of the semester, thus ending my first half of graduate school. Wow, this went fast! All of my papers are done. The only thing standing in my way is the final for Social Welfare Policy. It's a bit of a "yikes" final - everyone in the program has to take the same one and we're all a little nervous about it. The nerves mostly come from the fact that it's cumulative and closed book so it's just a lot of information to remember. I made a whole bunch of flash cards yesterday so that should help. It's such a beautiful day though, I want to be outside. Perhaps some studying in the park?

No comments:

Post a Comment