Monday, May 23, 2011

It's A Family Affair

One of the reasons I was so psyched to move to NYC was Long Island. My family living on Long Island, to be exact. Most of my mom's family is still there and I was so happy I'd be able to visit with them more. This past weekend was my cousin Kaylee's First Communion, complete with party and loads of family. My uncle called me a few weeks ago asking if I'd like to come - he could pick me up at the train station and I could stay with them. ABSOLUTELY!

Headed out Saturday morning and Uncle Mark picked me up at the Hicksville station. Swung by the house, picked up the rest of the family and headed to Little Jimmy and Kerri's (Kaylee's parents) house for the party. I hadn't seen most of the family in YEARS so I was really excited to see them all. SO GREAT. Tons of hugs, loads of catching up and much celebrating. Also massive amounts of food, of course. There was even a cotton candy maching. My Great Aunt Lily announced she never had cotton candy before so of course my cousin Heather ran right over and got her some. "How do you like it?" I asked her. "It disappeared when I put it in my mouth! Not worth it," she said.

Heather, Cody, Aunt Lil and Dawn


It was really great to be around family. So many offers to come out and stay weekends with everyone which will definitely be taken up. So many old stories were told and laughed about. So many new memories were made... and laughed about. I hated to leave but eventually all great parties must end. Back to Uncle Mark & Dorothy's for the night. We were all pretty exhausted so we ordered pizza and all hung out watching Pirates of the Caribbean. Everyone but Luke (my 11 year old cousin) and I were in bed by 9:30 - he and I stayed up talking until midnight. He's so awesome and wise beyond his years! It's like talking to someone my own age. We had a blast hanging out just the two of us.


Chillin with Dylan, Brittany, Stephanie and Luke


The next morning it was the traditional breakfast: everything bagel with veggie cream cheese, fruit and juice. YUM. We all got some after breakfast exercise playing the Kinect together and Dylan and I colored for a little bit too. All too soon it was time for the family to head out to Stephanie's softball game and to drop me back off at the train station. I'm so thankful it's just a 40 minute ride out to see everyone. You can bet your sweet bippy I'll be back out there soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment