Saturday, May 7, 2011

Amazing news for the taste buds, terrible news for the bank account

It's finally happened. (Well, a couple days ago it happened.) After weeks of walking past the building on the corner of Allen and Rivington that continually said "Coming Soon!" my wait is over. RED MANGO OPENED!! Who am I to miss the opening day of my beloved FroYo? Of course I couldn't... especially because they were offering it for free on opening day! It's like a dream come true. I grabbed my roommate Julie and we headed over. The line wasn't too long and actually moved rather quickly. Once we got inside we found they were already out of a few flavors. That's what I get for getting there at 7pm when the free handouts started at 5pm! It was actually a good thing though because I ended up trying their raspberry cheesecake, which I'd never had before. It tasted a bit like one of my childhood favorite treats:



I first fell in love with Red Mango in August of 2009. I was in Chicago visiting my dear bippylicious college friend Christy and going to Lollapalooza. There was a Red Mango on her corner which we passed on the way to the train station to get downtown for the festival. Not one time went by that we didn't stop to get some... unless it was closed. Alas, when the trip was over and I returned to Virginia I found out there were none (NONE! OH THE HORRORS!) near where I lived. Thankfully upon my move to NYC, there were many and now finally one in my neighborhood. Sorry bank account, we're going to have a problem this summer.

Just in case you're ever in my 'hood and feel like getting me a most wonderful surprise, my favorite is original with raspberries and dark chocolate chips. I'll love you forever.

2 comments:

  1. That place was so good. And I also loooooove Flintstone Push Ups

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm we'll have to go again next time you come. Or maybe there are some in DC! I had completely forgot about the Flintstone Push Ups until I tasted that fro yo - it's the immediate reminder that popped in my head!

    ReplyDelete