Friday, October 14, 2011

That sneaky spot on Houston

Such a New York moment yesterday. It had been raining all night the night before. In the morning, no rain just puddles. I got all ready for my internship and began the walk over. My route varies depending on the cross walk signs... or my mood. This day in particular I decided to walk down Houston. That may not have been the best decision. I forgot about this awful, sneaky spot on Houston that turns into a huge puddle. Cars drive through it and splash the water all over the people on the sidewalk who are close to the road. My roommate and I made note to walk closer to the stores when there are puddles on the street because we've seen enough people get splashed. Did I remember this on Thursday the 13th?

NO.

So I'm walking down the sidewalk and come to the sneaky spot. I'm just minding my own business, listening to some great song on my iPod and WHOOSH. A taxi drives through the sneaky spot and the left side of me gets soaked from shoulder to toe. "Ugh, gross!" I said outloud. Then I notice the mother and son who had been right in front of me. The little boy was covered from head to toe from the splash and he started crying. I felt so terrible for him! His mom was trying to calm him down. As for me, I texted my co-intern to tell her the craziness that just happened and kept walking. Eventually I would dry out. I feel like it was a final initiation to the neighborhood... over a year after I moved in but hey. I've finally ARRIVED.

No comments:

Post a Comment