Sunday he would have turned 52. Spike Lee hosted the 2nd annual Brooklyn Loves Michael Jackson party - a birthday party. I joined 50,000 other fans (along with my friends Katy, Laura and Tasha) at Nethermead Field, Prospect Park in Brooklyn to celebrate.
We got there fairly early and the crowd wasn't huge yet, only a few hundred people probably, so we got a great spot near-ish the stage. DJ Spinna was playing all Michael's hits, people were dancing, some people were dressed up and EVERYONE was so friendly. There was a table selling tshirts and tank tops but they were also handing out free fans to everyone because it was unbearably hot. Even so, the energy was incredibly high! There were large screens so everyone could see different dancers and all the people. Sometimes there would be a "karaoke" song and the words would flash up on the screen for everyone to sing. The original recording would be playing too though.
Spike Lee was a wonderful host. I'm so glad he put this together and that he's going to do it every year. Each year it can only get better! This year Rev. Al Sharpton was there. He came to bless the crowd and thank us all for coming. He also reminded us that it was the 5th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina and asked that we not forget those still deeply affected by that. When blessing the crowd, he asked us all to hold hands and said "I hope you are standing next to someone you don't know." On my right was Tasha, so I knew her. On my left was a group of people, a family I think, I didn't know but we'd been standing next to each other for a few hours and were all enjoying jammin out. So I did get someone I didn't know. That moment when everyone was connected was just magical. You could feel all the love in the air: the love for Michael, the love for each other as fans sharing this great moment, the love for the music and the love we all have for the world and wanting to make it a better place. Even Snoop Dogg showed up to do a tribute.
I believe Jackson fans (I'm including the entire family in on that because I love them all and I know others do too) are the best in the world. Everyone is so connected and supportive of each other. People were taking pictures happily with strangers. Everyone was so open to that. Someone started the electric slide and that got HUGE. During Thriller, a large group of people did the dance segment. It was on the opposite side from me and the crowd around them was big so I couldn't see it all that well. Loved the fact it was happening though! There was a large birthday cake and we took a moment to have the actual happy birthday celebration.
Later in the day came some of my favorite parts. I noticed people handing out signs with lines from Wanna Be Starting Something, one of my favorite MJ songs. The signs said "You're A Vegetable," "Yeah Yeah," "Hee Haw" and the one I wanted the most... and made sure I got it:
Everyone was supposed to hold their sign up when it got to their part. It was so great and worked out pretty well! People were also waving the fans we all got. Here's a shot from the end of the song:
Another great moment was during Man In The Mirror. The song played through once and everyone sang along, waving hands in the air with peace signs. When the song ended, Spike Lee requested the song again but to drop the music out at the chorus. He wanted to hear all the fans sing it a capella. It was so wonderful and heartfelt.
Eventually this most wonderful day was over and we had to depart. Happily the camaraderie did not end at the border of the park. On the way home I first got on a Q train. I was joined by a group of four friend who had also been at the celebration - we had the same "Ma ma se, ma ma sa..." signs. They came to stand next to me and we talked about the day and how much fun it was. They even recognized my tattoo as a tribute to Michael and thought it was great. At Canal Street I had to change to a J and met another woman who had been there. We chatted not only while waiting for the train but all the way to my stop. She had been to the one last year and said she'll keep going until she can't go anymore. She was at the Apollo the evening Michael passed and shared with me her experience there. It was so wonderful to be able to spread the time with other fans out all the way home.
For so long I've wanted to be in this exact place: with thousands of other fans showing our appreciation for this incredible man. There was no other place I would have rather been yesterday. I got teary eyed several times throughout the day. I get teary eyed today thinking about it. Already excited for next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment