Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hot Topic

Here in New York you can't help but hear about the protestors down around Ground Zero. They're protesting what is incorrectly being called the "Ground Zero Mosque." I'm really not one for arguing and confrontation so I tend to stay out of debates on things such as this, but this is my blog and I can say what I want. I hadn't really talked to anyone about it until the other day when a group of us had a discussion (thankfully a DISCUSSION! That was nice.) about it.

Honestly, I'm for the community center. Some people are talking about the nerve of Muslims to build a mosque at the Ground Zero site and that Americans don't want to see that every day. First, it's a community center, not a mosque. Second, it's not at the Ground Zero site and can't even be seen from there. Third, in response to those arguing that American's don't want to see something built by Muslims at Ground Zero: white people took (not bought, TOOK) the land and carved our presidents faces into the sacred hills of the Lakota. It's viewed as a national monument and people love it. I hear where the other side is coming from, many saying it's too soon and I respect the fact that an incredible amount of life was lost on September 11. But where do we get the right to say they can't have a community center? Why is an entire group of people being punished when the evil is a small group of extremists? Wasn't our country founded on freedom? I guess it's freedom only for a select group, not for all. That's been an ugly part of history for a long time and is still going.

I really wish we could have not only tolerance between different groups of people, but understanding, appreciation and respect. Particularly with religion, I do not believe there is any "right" one. Sure, there can be the right one for you, but I think everyone is entitled to believe what they want. Strong statement coming from a pastor's daughter, I know, but my dad's no ordinary pastor - a fact of which I am EXTREMELY proud.

A part of being absolutely horrible in situations that move from discussions to confrontations is I can rarely get my thoughts together clearly enough to state my point. I was very proud of my statement to the group about the Black Hills which none of them had considered before and we talked a little bit about that. The next day I saw the following video (which, oddly enough, also touched on the Black Hills). I am very unfamiliar with Keith Olbermann but really liked what he had to say on the topic. So please, view it and think. Discuss, not argue.

4 comments:

  1. I love everything you just said. How can there be one "right" when everyone believes they are the only "right"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I like you're point. I think we're probably all right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting that video! I've thought for some time that the people who were protesting the community center were being short-sighted, but Keith Olbermann made that same point SO ELOQUENTLY! I got goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got to see it, Jen! He put into words what I think a lot of other people were thinking, including me. Nail hit on head!

    ReplyDelete