Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Schlemiel, schlimazel, hasenpfeffer incorporated!": Making My Dreams Come True

I live in New York City now! Alphabet City to be exact.

As far back as I can remember, I've wanted to live in NYC. On every trip to visit family on Long Island, I'd get so envious of the residents while passing the city. I'd point to buildings along our route and say "that's where I'm going to live someday." (My 4 year old self didn't understand why my parents said no. We were driving through the Bronx in the late '80's & early '90's.) Finally I decided to make my own dream come true. I've chosen to attend graduate school at Fordham University's Lincoln Center campus for a Masters of Social Work.

On July 31st my mom and I headed out in her Toyota Highlander jam packed with most of my belongings. Before actually getting on the road we had a few stops to make. My dad followed us to Lowes where I picked out my birthday present: a super nice Lasko tower fan. Even though my new room has a ceiling fan, I like to sleep in the cold cold cold so I was extremely happy to get this fan as a gift. Next up was Walmart to grab scissors (my boxes were taped up pretty well), drinks for the car ride and a big pack of Twizzlers. EVERY time my family goes on a road trip, we always buy a big pack of Twizzlers to share... only this time it was just two of us splitting instead of four. Well, technically five now that Greer is my (awesome) brother-in-law, but we've not yet all been on a road trip together. Lightening quick stop at a gas station then on to Wendy & Larry's (Greer's amazing parents) house. Wendy is a supreme cake baker and made me a birthday cake to take with me to NYC. It was also great to give them some "see you later" hugs too (because I don't do goodbyes). On the way!

We were making great timing. Got to pass all the rest areas where Dad usually requests a stop (haha, love you Dad!) and in no time made it to our usual lunch time stop: last exit in Pennsylvania on I-78. It's a gas station that also grills some delicious burgers. I always order the California burger - try it if you ever stop there. We got back on the road fairly quickly and decided to pop some Stevie Wonder in the CD player. As incredibly enjoyable that was, it may not have been the best idea. Mom and I got so wrapped up in the music that we didn't really pay attention to where we were going and all of a sudden Mom says "We don't usually see signs for Albany, do we?" Whoopsie daisy! She called her brother (whose house we were going to on Long Island) and he gave us new directions. No problem, really. We hadn't gone too far off our usual drive. As we said, we didn't make a WRONG turn, we just didn't make ANY turns. Pretty soon we pulled into the driveway and were greeted by my Uncle Mark, his girlfriend Dorothy, my cousin Luke and Dorothy's daughter Brittany (the other two kids were at their grandparents for the night). It was so nice out that we spent a majority of the evening outside before a later pizza dinner. Before bed, Luke showed Brittany and me some of his favorite music videos and we all talked a bit. I absolutely love spending time with my cousins and am very glad that I'll be closer to quite a few of them now that I'm living up here!

Moving day came after a restless night of sleep for me (I think I was too excited) and we started with a delicious breakfast of birthday cake. Well, delicious is an understatement. Scrumptious! Delectable! Mouth watering! Wendy, thank you soooo much for that. What a treat! Mom & I made a quick trip to Target to get some cleaning supplies since I'd heard the current - now former - tenants hadn't completely moved out yet but should be out by early morning. Figured it wouldn't be the cleanest. When we got back to the house, we moved my stuff from my mom's car to my uncle's which had a bit more room and my uncle drove us into the city to my new home! Everything got unloaded fairly quickly and Uncle Mark drove back to Long Island. Mom and I inspected a bit and decided we were very happy for that quick cleaning supply Target run. Let's just say the apartment wasn't in the best shape. Together we tackled my bedroom (walls and floors) and a majority of the kitchenlivingroom (which is all one area). Next we scrubbed... and I mean scrubbed with all our elbow grease... the bathroom. That was the worst place. Oh, and first things first - when we were done cleaning my bedroom, my Michael Jackson frame went right up on the wall. That's the only thing too because every time we tried to hammer in a nail, it bent. Mom and I also made a quick run to the corner grocery store to get some milk, bread and other essential food items. By time all this was done, Dad called to say he was pulling up to my street (he had to come up after he did the church service in the morning) and my dear friend from home, Katy called to say she was down the street on her way to help. First we got the big things unloaded (my bed and the couch) and then grabbed a smaller boxes. It didn't take too long and in the process of moving I met Nancy and Sammy, the couple who live across the hall. They've been in that same apartment since 1977! Good people to know if I need help finding anything in the neighborhood.

Once we got through unloading Dad's truck, it was definitely time for dinner. The four of us went to Lebrini Pizzeria on the corner of my street and Ave C . Since I don't have much food at my place, I got to take a huge piece home for lunch the next day. We walked back and spent a bit more time together before it was time for Mom & Dad to head back to Long Island. We said our see you laters and then Katy told me we had to go for a walk to get a surprise. Surprise!! Katy and I got a bottle of Sangria down the street and brough it back to sit on my fire escape, enjoy the evening and catch up. After a while it got pretty late and Katy needed to head back home to Brooklyn. I'm so excited that we live so much closer now, even though it will only be for a couple of months because she heads back to Virginia in October. Perfect ending to a great moving day. I owe a huge thanks to Uncle Mark, Katy and especially Mom and Dad who did soooooo much.

Side note: I thought since I was moving up here on August 1st, it's time to try the 365 project. I'm posting my pictures on my Facebook if you want to check them out!

1 comment:

  1. Give us any chance we'll take it! Give us any rule we'll break it! We're gonna make our dreams come true! Doin it our way!

    ReplyDelete