Monday, August 9, 2010

It's been a week (and a day)...

...and I am loving it. Every minute I spend out in my neighborhood I fall more in love with it. Of all Manhattan, I'm convinced this is the right place for me to be living at this moment in my life. All the credit goes to my fabulous roommate, Rachel, who must have looked at a million apartments all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. She's definitely picked a gem! Her parents came up this past weekend with all of her stuff and now our apartment looks much more like a home and not so much a shell. It's a place where you walk in the door, drop your stuff and give a nice relaxing sigh saying "Ahhh, I'm home."

As I've been exploring my neighborhood, I've noticed many beautiful murals signed simply "By Chico." Every corner you turn, every street you walk down there is another one. Some murals honor someone who has passed, some honor the neighborhood and there's even one honoring the election of Obama and the change to come. I became very intrigued and decided to look him up to find out more. Turns out he's a local, 45 years old named Antonio Garcia. Unfortunately in my research I found out he's recently moved to Florida. Thankfully the murals are still here for all of us to enjoy! You can read more about him and see some of his work here. I'll try to grab some pictures of his work as I walk around too.

Sunday evening Stacey and I headed back to Rockwood to check out Johnny Gallagher. It was his first time playing Stage 2 (I've yet to see someone on Stage 1 but I'm sure I will soon!) and it was a great set. I'll definitely check out his next show. During our time there, I mentioned to Stacey that I was looking at the schedule of people playing and oddly enough, a guy that I thought should play at Rockwood was on the schedule often in October. His name is Julian Velard and I really only know one of his songs but have been getting more of his stuff recently. He's along the lines of Jamie Cullum and The Gabe Dixon Band, both of whom I really love. Very excited to check him out live in a few months!

This evening I went over to Katy's in Brooklyn and we ordered sushi for dinner. I'm trying to be more adventurous with my food choices, but my choices for sushi always intimidate me a little. I've decided the best thing for me to do is order one roll that I KNOW I like and one roll that I haven't tried before. My classic go-to is the Philadelphia Roll. Tonight my second roll was... well, I don't remember what it's called but it was not my favorite. It had black pepper and spicy tuna and some type of crab on top. I think it was the black pepper I did not enjoy too much. Next time I'll try something different. I did try Katy's Tommy's Roll and sweet potato roll and enjoyed both of those.

When dinner was over we headed into Manhattan because I learned from Twitter that Broadway Impact was hosting a rally/celebration in honor of the end of Prop 8. Hooray for equality for EVERYONE! We both thought it would be a great idea to go and show our support. I'm so glad we did. There were performances and speakers and videos, all very inspiring. Our justice system got this one right!! Two of the coolest speakers were Richard Socarides, a White House advisor under President Clinton who explained the ruling in words everyone could understand and Claire Buffie, Miss New York 2010 who is running on a platform of "Straight For Equality: Let's Talk." There was a mixture of people there celebrating and you could feel the room full of love, happiness and inspiration. The fight for civil rights has not ended and it's such a beautiful thing to witness and take part in the current action. I'm all for no hate, love whomever you like. Love is a great emotion that everyone deserves. And EVERYONE deserves equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment